Coping with COVID-19
As we continue to live and work through these unprecedented times, here at SC Johnson Professional we have had to make some big changes in the way we operate in the UK, both to meet the extreme increase in demand for our products and to protect our people. We are doing all we can to help. We wanted to provide a further update on the steps we have taken to ensure we can continue to maximise our production for those most in need whilst also protecting our employees by maintaining a safe working environment.
We continue to prioritise the provision of hand hygiene products to hospitals and healthcare institutions, and we would like to thank our customers for their understanding, patience and flexibility on this.
Whilst we have been working longer days and weeks to supply our product, we have taken every possible step to ensure that those in our busy production and warehouse facilities, as well as essential office workers, are able to work effectively within a safe environment. This has meant that we have made some significant changes to our production sites in the UK.
Where possible, our employees have been working from home during this period. Where it is not possible, our team have had to adapt to the changes we have had to make and the new measures we have put in place, so that we can continue to provide our products to those who need them.
Here are some of the changes we have made at our operations in Denby, Derbyshire:
- Following government advice, we are encouraging our essential workers to travel separately to and from work and to avoiding carsharing with people outside of their household. When this is not possible, we are advising that carsharing journeys should always be with the same people and that the number of people car sharing in one vehicle is kept to a minimum.
- Each essential worker arriving on site is screened. We ask questions related to COVID-19 symptoms and check their temperature. If the screening is passed, and only then, the person is allowed to access to the site, helping us to protect individuals and our wider workforce’s wellbeing.
- On entry and exit, everyone is asked to sanitise their hands in keeping with our recommended best practice.
- Our site now looks quite different. Social distancing measures are in force throughout. Office-based workers are dispersed, some areas are closed off and our canteen has single tables only. All our production and warehouse colleagues are wearing additional PPE if deemed necessary, with the option of wearing gloves and masks.
- We all look forward to the time when it is safe to have face-to-face meetings with our customers, suppliers and colleagues. However, for now, we are not allowing visitors onsite except those essential to our production operations.
- Hand sanitisers have been placed at high-touch areas and surface cleaning products such as Mr Muscle are readily available.
- All our colleagues are working incredibly hard, but among some of our unsung heroes are our cleaning teams who are now cleaning every 4 hours
By taking these measures throughout our building beyond the frontlines of production, we are providing a clean, safe environment for our entire workforce, enabling us to work together to continue to serve our customers the best we can during this challenging period.
We would like to thank our customers again for your understanding at this difficult and unprecedented time. Please do not hesitate to let us know of any queries, questions or comments you may have.