By SC Johnson Professional
The pandemic isn’t over. In fact, many experts are predicting a surge this winter. As variants continue to dominate headlines, businesses may wish to be more vigilant in implementing an effective cleaning and hygiene program as part of a complete COVID strategy. However, with new variants such as Omicron spreading, it can be hard to know whether the cleaning and disinfecting products used are effective against new strains.
With an increase in COVID cases over the holidays, consumers may be more concerned with how businesses are cleaning and disinfecting their facilities. It is therefore important for businesses to consider using products that are proven to be effective against SARS-CoV-2 and its variants.
Are disinfectants effective against new COVID strains?
If it is an EPA List N product, yes. EPA’s List N products include disinfectants that the EPA expects will kill SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, when used according to label instructions. Products qualify for List N if they:
- Demonstrate efficacy against the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2
- Demonstrate efficacy against a pathogen that is harder to kill than SARS-CoV-2; or
- Demonstrate efficacy against a different human coronavirus similar to SARS-CoV-2
According to the EPA, variants can be killed by List N disinfectants because their basic physical properties are not changed by the recent SARS-CoV-2 mutations.
SC Johnson Professional List N Products
The following SC Johnson Professional products are on the EPA’s List N. These products can be used against 2019 Novel Coronavirus (SARS CoV-2) on hard, non-porous surfaces following label directions for disinfection and the appropriate contact time for the stated virus.
- TruShot 2.0™ Multi-surface Restroom Cleaner and Disinfectant and TruShot 2.0™ Hospital Cleaner and Disinfectant (EPA registration number: 6836-348-89900) – These products are part of SC Johnson Professional’s innovative TruShot Mobile Dispensing System that automatically dilutes, mixes and delivers effective chemistries while reducing prep time with portable, no-spill cartridges. Ideal for use in public facilities such as hospitals, schools, hotels and office buildings, the formulas are effective against SARS-CoV-2 on hard, non-porous surfaces following a 1-minute dwell time.
- fantastik® Multi-Surface Disinfectant Degreaser (EPA registration number: 89900-3) – This product removes 100% of soap scum and grease and cleans, disinfects, degreases and deodorizes hard surfaces. Leaving a pleasant scent behind, it is proven to kill the COVID-19 virus on hard, non-porous surfaces following a 5-minute dwell time.
- Scrubbing Bubbles® Disinfectant Restroom Cleaner (EPA registration number: 89900-2)– This heavy-duty, multi-purpose cleaner removes 100% of soap scum while leaving behind a brilliant shine. Foaming action easily removes lime scale, calcium, rust and dirt. It is proven to kill the COVID-19 virus on hard non-porous surfaces after 5-minutes.
- Windex Multi-Surface Disinfectant Sanitizer Cleaner (EPA registration number: 4822-593-89900) – This product cleans and shines surfaces without leaving behind any dull residue. It is great for cleaning bathrooms, kitchens, tiles, stainless steel, and more. The product is proven to kill the COVID-19 virus on hard, non-porous surfaces following a 10-minute dwell time.
While it can be confusing to determine which disinfection products to use as new COVID-19 variants are discovered, businesses may consider products on EPA’s List N. By using List N products while following label instructions for disinfection and dwell time, businesses can provide reassurance to their customers that they are cleaning and disinfecting to a high standard.
Link to the EPA List N: https://cfpub.epa.gov/wizards/disinfectants/